Friday, March 19, 2010

Chicken and pita salad

I found this recipe in my new taste of home simple and delicious magazine. I modified it a good deal because I didn't need to cook up chicken - I just used pre-cooked. I also cut the oil down in the dressing recipe and traded out the honey. Then I added some flavor to my pitas when I toasted them, and upped the carrots.... It turned out really well.


Ingredients
  • 2 pitas chopped (I used home made)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon butter
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning (I didn't measure)
  • 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
  • 1 package pre-cooked chicken (about 1 lb)
  • 1 package (6 oz.) baby spinach
  • 1 package matchstick carrots
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup crumbled garlic and herb feta cheese
Dressing
  • 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
  • 1 glove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • dash pepper
Directions
  1. Melt butter in microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle garlic and herb seasoning on melted butter. Add pita pieces and toss to coat. Place pita pieces on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted stirring half way through cooking time.
  2. Meanwhile, cook edamame according to package directions. Defrost chicken.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, carrots, tomatoes, cheese, edamame, and chicken. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Divide amoung plates. Top with pita pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails