Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken Lasagna Florentine

This recipe is from Family Feasts for $75 a week.  I actually liked it quite a bit.  It wasn't as popular with others in the family, but I liked eating the left overs.  I'd give it 4 star from me, but as a family, it gets 3.5.   I changed a bit - but not much - just used stock rather than boullion and water.  I also reduced the oil and butter.

$75 feasts p. 99

Ingredients
  • 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions and drianed
  • 1 package (2 1/2-3 cups) pre-cooked chicken (or raw and cook it in a pan at the beginning)
  • 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach - thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (I think I used more)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
White sauce
  • 2 1/2-3 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 cups milk (I used fat free)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Coat a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray.
  2. Cook noodles in a pot and chicken in a pan if not using precooked.
  3. In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, spinach, eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella, basil, oregano and nutmeg.
  4. To make white sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.  Add garlic powder, parsley and flour.  Stir until well combined.  Gradually add chicken stock and milk, stirring frequently.  Stir in Parmesan.  Continue to stir until thick and creamy.  Remove from heat.
  5. To make lasagna, layer 1/2 of the noodles in the prepared pan.  Top with half of the chicken/spinach mix and half of the white sauce.   Repeat with remaining noodles, chicken mixture and white sauce.  Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup mozzarella (this is where I'm sure I used a bit more than 1/2 cup.)  Bake until bubbly and mozzarella begins to brown - about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails