Saturday, March 17, 2012

Craisin salad and honey mustard dressing

This recipe comes from Green smoothie girl.  However, her recipe makes a very large salad.  I didn't have the types of salad called for, or the almonds (at least I couldn't find them.  Found them today when I went to put away the new bag I bought - go figure.)
I really liked the salad - LOVED the candied pecans -(who knew you could make those with agave - not me.)  I wasn't a fan of the dressing, but I'm not a fan of mustard.  I'd probably either use the strawberry poppy seed dressing on this next time, or let individuals pick their own dressing, or just use only about 1/3 the amount of mustard in the dressing.  Seems like everyone else liked the dressing though, so don't let my dislike of mustard sway you from trying the dressing.
Anyway, here is how I made the salad with the dressing to follow.  Still tasty and just enough for our family as a salad before dinner, not the main dish.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 of a large head of romaine (I'd use 1 whole head if you are using romaine hearts or a smaller head.)
  • 2-3 large handfuls of baby spinach
  • 1 can mandarin oranges, drained (I used an 11 oz. can)
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 2 Tablespoons agave
Directions
  1. Saute pecans over medium heat with the butter and agave until browned.  Set aside.  Toss remaining ingredients together with dressing (see below for what we tried.)    You can toss the nuts in at the end, but personally, I just sprinkled them on top of each individual plate.
This too is from green smoothie girl.  I liked the dressing I tried the next day a lot better.  This amount made quite a lot.  I'm not sure how long it will stay good in the fridge, but I think if making it again, I would probably just do a 1/2 batch.  That would still have been plenty for the cranberry salad plus left overs.
Here's my slightly adapted version.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon mustard 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 medium sweet onion cut into fourths
  • 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except poppy seeds in a blender and blend until smooth.  Add poppy seeds and pulse a couple of times.  
  2. Toss desired amount with salad (I can't imagine you using all of this on the salad listed above.  This is a lot of dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails