Sunday, May 22, 2011

Soda pop chops with smashed potatoes

Man, I shouldn't get so behind in my blogging - it makes me forget how much everyone liked the meal.  I remember this being good, but no more details than that.  I think I still have left overs.  Maybe I'll try them this evening.  :)  This original recipe came from my Taste of Home Simple and Delicious magazine, but I changed it up quite a bit.  This is how I made it. (Thank goodness for notes in my magazine.)  As I remember, it was pretty good, and I liked the sauce - how can something that comes with sauce be bad right??

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
  • 1 12 oz. can root beer
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 2-1 1/2 lbs pork loin chops (I used boneless - semi thick chops which I sliced in half to make thinner chops.)
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (can use olive or vegetable if you want.)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter (can use more if desired
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions
  1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.  bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine root beer, ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder;  Set aside.  
  3. In a large resealable bag -or on a plate, (I started this in a bag, but dumped it onto a plate.  I would definitely do the plate again next time.combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add pork to bag and shake to coat - or just dip each side in the flour mixture on a plate.  
  4. In a large skillet, brown chops in oil. (a couple minutes on each side) Add root beer mixture and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until meat is tenter, turning once.  (I just stuck a thermometer in mine and set the alarm to go off when done.  
  5. Remove the pork and keep warm.  Bring sauce to a boil;  cook until liquid is reduced by half.
  6. Meanwhile, drain potatoes; mash with butter, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper.  Serve with pork chops and sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails