Sunday, May 22, 2011

Italian Bread sticks

I made these to go along with our spinach ricotta dumplings (recipe to follow) that I made the other day.  They were decent.  I particularly loved that they were quick - except for the twisting, and honestly, I quit twisting at the end because I needed to get them ready early enough to be eaten before scouts.  My last few were just a normal bread stick.  My only real change was omitting brushing these with oil and sprinkling them with salt.  I think I'd rather butter (or spray butter) them and sprinkle them with garlic salt or garlic and herb mix.)  I did that to my second bread stick and it was delicious.
I liked that these had a bit of Italian seasoning in them as well.  Gave them a good flavor.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons hot water (I actually used warm, I didn't want to kill my yeast, and my flour was warm because it was fresh ground.)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups white flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon yeast
  • 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
  • 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the hot water with 1 cup flour (I didn't use super hot water because I was afraid of killing my yeast - my flour was freshly ground so it was also warm.)  Add the salt, olive oil, flaxseed, sugar, and yeast.  Mix together to make a "spongy" dough.  Let rest for 10-15 minutes.  Grease a baking sheet (or cover with parchment.)
  2. Add remaining flour, and Italian seasoning, and Parmesan.  Knead until it is smooth.  (I just mixed it in my kitchenaid.)  
  3. Divide dough into muffin-size balls.  Shape as desired - For an easy shape, just roll out like a bread stick  To make a twist, Roll balls into skinny, long pieces.  Let rest as you roll the rest of the pieces.  Go back and fold the pieces in half and twist together.
  4. Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place (I like my microwave - after boiling water in it for a minute)  Preheat oven to 350.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes.  Baking time depends on thickness of breadsticks.  Mine took about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails