Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dutch baby with berry syrup

I got a new book at the library the other day.  I love it!  It is called The $5 dinner mom breakfast and lunch cookbook.  I think I will have to buy this one.  It is full of fun breakfast ideas including how to make your own oatmeal packets, ways to make pre-mixes so that everything can be made quickly in the morning and things that can be made in the crock pot overnight.  I can't wait to try them.  She also has a website which looks like fun as well.  I checked it out too.  www.5dollardinners.com.  So I tried my first recipe from the book today.  It was quite tasty.  Really it was just a German pancake, but I did like the syrup - just berries and honey.  I didn't blend mine in the blender - just smashed them with a fork - easier cleanup.  I also cut the butter by a couple of tablespoons and don't think it would be hurt by cutting out 2 more tablespoons.  It had tons of butter on top.  I did like it cooked a bit longer than the original said.  I did take out 2 pieces and feed the big boys after 25 minutes because they had to go to school.  I then put it back in the oven and cooked it for another 15-20 minutes - should not have done the last 4 minutes, got the top a bit too toasted, but it was still good.  What surprised me is that it filled the pan back up again.  (see the second picture)  That kind of cracked me up.
This is how I made it today.


Ingredients

  • 6 eggs (I used 4 eggs and 1/2 cup egg substitute because I had it and wanted to use it, and it is a bit healthier.)
  • 2 cups milk (I used skim)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons butter
Syrup ingredients
  • 2-3 cups berries - I used frozen strawberries
  • 3 Tablespoons honey
Directions
  1. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.  Place butter in pan.  Put the pan in the oven and pre-heat to 400.  (butter will melt while pan is preheating - original just called for melted butter, but I make peach puff pancake this way and it seemed easy so that is what I did.  Worked out perfect.)
  2. While the butter melts and oven heats, whisk eggs (and egg substitute if using) in a bowl until frothy.  Add milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.  Whisk until batter becomes smooth.  Take the pan out of the oven and pour the batter over the melted butter.  Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (I'd say it would be better for about 35 minutes.)
  3. I made the syrup by microwaving my frozen berries until nice and mushy.  Then I smashed them with a fork and added the honey.  (the book had you make the sauce in the blender.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails