Monday, March 21, 2011

Black bean brownies

Here are some black bean brownies from $5 mom's cookbook. The recipe is also on her website.  My second batch are currently in the oven. I did some things different this time which I will include in the instructions. Good changes. The first time I used 1 cup sugar, 1 cup splenda. This time I used 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup agave. I was wanting to add a bit more moisture because I thought they were a bit dry before. I may try subbing out some sugar for Truvia next time or something. I'll finish writing this up after this batch comes out. I may even get a better pictures. :)
This batch definitely came out better.  Not so dry.  I did a couple of things different.  I added the milk to the beans in the blender and pureed together.  That helped the blender not to stick and I got a much better smoothie consistency.  I also used mini chocolate chips and not as many of them.  I still didn't get the type of crisp top she has in her picture - probably the subbing of sugars??  Check out her page - she has lots of pictures.  I'll re-type it with my adaptations - I'm going to write down the sugar/agave method since it gave me a  better consistency brownie.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups cooked black beans (I just used 2 15 oz. cans rinsed and drained.)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used fat free)
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup agave
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Coat a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray.  
  2. In a blender, puree black beans with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup milk until nice and smooth.  (I actually used my bosch last night and had bread kneading on the mixer side so it ran for 4 minutes - it was nice and smooth.)
  3. Pour puree into a mixing bowl.  Add sugar, agave and vanilla and mix well.  
  4. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to the wet ingredients and mix.  Stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
  5. Pour into the 9 X 13 pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  (The first time I made these -without agave - 1 cup sugar and 1 cup splenda - they were done and a bit dry in 45 minutes.  Last night I left them in the full 55, and the toothpick still looked moist, but I think it was just chocolate chips because the brownies were done. - I probably could have taken them out after 50.  Either way, they aren't as dry as last time.)

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails