Sunday, March 13, 2011

bean quesadillas

Here's a super simple lunch idea that I got from $5 dollar mom's book.  I didn't use some oil she called for, and I didn't add any salt and pepper - you may want to, but everyone thought these were great just as they were.  She suggested a avocado, corn, black bean salsa which I also made.  I wasn't as big of fan of the salsa - it definitely needed the salt and pepper I left out.  :)  I added a bunch more salsa and salt and pepper when Brandon got home and it was much better.
So, the quesadillas were really good.  Tavio griped that he wouldn't want a bean quesadilla, and even less if it had ANY salsa in it ... Then he tried one.... and wanted more.  Benjamin tried one and still wanted just plain cheese.  I really liked them.
Just made these again and used 2/3 cup salsa and 1/3 cup taco sauce.  Good that way too.

Ingredients

  • 1 15 oz. can black beans
  • 1 15 oz. can kidney beans
  • 1 cup salsa (I actually had a little less just because I ran out of 1 container and didn't open another)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used 1 sharp cheddar, 1 mild cheddar)
  • 4 burrito size tortillas
Directions
  1. Rinse and drain beans.  Combine beans, salsa and cheese in a bowl.  
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Place 1 tortilla in the pan and top with 1 cup of the bean mixture -keeping beans to 1 side.  Fold the tortilla in half over the beans and heat on one side until nice and crisp.  Flip and heat the other side.  Serve.
I made the black bean avocado salsa by combining the following ingredients
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 2/3-3/4 cups salsa
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 avocado, diced
Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails