Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Beef and rice casserole

This is a casserole that I tried tonight.  The original was in $5 dinner mom's book, but I altered it a good deal.  I debated cooking the rice alone before hand and really should have.  I have never had good luck with cooking rice as part of a casserole in the oven.  This was no exception.  It was perfectly done in the corners after it's hour, but crunchy in the middle.  I stirred it and put it back in.  In the end it ended up overdone.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb ground beef (I used a container of my pre-cooked
  • 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion
  • 1 1/2 cups white rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
  • 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic mix (McCormick has one I like.)
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 

Directions
  1. Place everything except cheese in a 9 X 13.  Stir.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.  (took more like 1 hour 20 minutes (maybe 1.5 hrs.)  Uncover, top with cheese, bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  
Next time I'd make the rice in a rice cooker with the Italian seasoning and garlic herb mix (maybe half of each??) Then combine cooked rice with other ingredients (adding a can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes.  This had a great flavor, I just thought a bit more tomato would make it a bit more like a spaghetti or something 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails