Sunday, March 20, 2011

Apple Walnut Pork

Once again I've gotten a bit behind on my blogging - it has been spring break, so I've had the big boys home, and we've taken advantage of the time to work in they yard, get some scout stuff done, and have a little fun.  I've also spent a lot of time cooking.  This past week we've had home-made breakfast every day and a planned  lunch just about every day.  Most of the recipes have come from the 2 books I have checked out of the library by $5 dinner mom.  I'll be posting some that I edited and others will just get a picture and a page number.  Honestly I've loved the 2 books.  I'm going to buy both, and even get one for my sister for her birthday and possibly one for my mom.  Great book.  I love her website too, and her facebook.  She sends out adds and coupons.  Anyway, wonderful accidental find - I was just searching cookbook in the library book search on line and these popped up on the first page so I requested them.  Wonderful find.

I chose to post this recipe because I was pretty impressed by the way it resurrected some pork that I probably would have tossed.  I couldn't really call it a 5 star the way we ate it, but with better left over pork I'm sure it could  be.  I also did some things different than the book so I wanted to write that down as well.

This was a great use up left overs to make something new dinner.  I had some brown rice already cooked.  (I had cooked extra for rice pudding but had more than needed, so I still had more of that.  I also had the left over pork.  Between the 2 all I had to add was a couple of ingredients and a veggie.  Honestly I even have honey that is old and needed to be be used up.  Enough of how much I liked using my left overs.  Here is how I made this

Ingredients

  • 4 cups left over brown rice
  • 1 pound left over cooked, pork, shredded
  • 1 large Granny smith apple, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups apple juice (approximately)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups veggies
Directions
  1. Add diced apple, 1/2 cup apple juice, honey and walnuts to a large skillet.  Saute for 4 to 6 minutes until the juices reduce.  Add the shredded pork and stir into the sauce.  Add 1/2 cup more juice, stir to combine.  Simmer until reduced.  Add another 1/2 cup juice, stir to combine and simmer until reduced. (I added the extra juice because my pork was particularly dry -add juice as you feel it is needed for your roast.  If you have a good and juicy roast, you may only need the original 1/2 cup.)
  2. Place 1/4-1/2 cup apple juice to the rice and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
  3. Make your veggies.  (I made some asparagus by sauteing them in a little bit of butter with garlic mix and salt for 5-6 minutes.)
  4. Serve apple walnut pork with apple rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails