Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken, vegetable and bean soup {slow cooker}

This original recipe idea came from the new saving dinner basics I checked out of the library.  I just changed it to use up some veggies I had.  Turned out great - kids liked it.  I always forget they like soup.  (Except Aaron who didn't try it at all even though I separated the chicken, beans and veggies.  Go figure.)
I liked that it used dried beans.  I'm always trying to become more proficient at using dried beans.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried great northern beans
  • 2 green onions (I just tossed them in to use them up.)
  • 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onions
  • 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper (I used my same teaspoon and filled it just under half way.
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 - 1.25 lbs)  mine went straight from the freezer to the crock pot.
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes (undrained)
Directions
  1. Soak beans overnight  - or if you are me and always forget to plan ahead, - toss them in a bowl covered by 1 to 2 inches of water and microwave for15 minutes.  Drain and rinse beans.  (I chopped my veggies while my beans were in the microwave - got everything ready in the 15 minutes it took.)
  2. In a slow-cooker, place carrots, green onion, celery, dehydrated onion, parsley, thyme, marjoram, pepper, and garlic.  Place beans and chicken on top of veggies; Pour chicken stock on top.  Cover with chicken stock.  (I made sure to push my chicken down to be covered by the stock because it was frozen and I wanted to make sure it cooked well.  I also came back after a couple of hours and split the 2 breasts in half.)
  3. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.  During the last 30 minutes, shred the chicken and add the diced tomatoes.  Cover and let cook last 30 minutes then serve.  (I really only let it warm up for 10-15 minutes.  We were eating between soccer and scouts.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails