Thursday, March 10, 2011

vanilla brown rice pudding

I have tons to blog today.  Lets see if I can get it all done and not fall behind.
I started the morning with vanilla brown rice pudding.  I still had some brown rice left over from the other day, so I decided to try this version.  Unfortunately for me I did not have any milk.  Luckily I had evaporated milk which I substituted.  While it was tasty, I prefer the other brown rice pudding I make called rizogalo.  I just like the lemon in it.   However, I loved the application of this recipe - simmer in the milk first, mix just egg white with milk and pour that in... I didn't have any trouble with cooked egg, and I didn't have to temper it first which can get messy.  I also didn't have to sit there and stir, so great application - I think I will use this method making the rizogalo in the future.  The recipe is from my new favorite book $5 dollar mom breakfast and lunch cookbook.
I hate when I forget to take a picture until I have the left overs in the fridge - at least I remembered then.  :)

Here is how I made it

Ingredients

  • 4 cups cooked brown rice (I had a bit more - 4.25)
  • 2 cups milk (I used 1 full can of evaporated skim milk and then a cup of water - but I saved 1/4 cup for the 1/4 cup called for later.)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (original had twice as much, I'd rather put more cinnamon and may next time.)
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/4 cup milk
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, stir together rice, 2 cups milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil and let cook at a rolling boil for 5-7 minutes (I think I could have added more liquid even and done this a bit longer, but then again my rice had been in the fridge a couple of days and was a bit dry.)
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 1/4 cup milk.  Stir mixture into the cooking rice.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Serve
Her serving suggestion with these was pumpkin smoothies.  I did make them but no one really cared for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails