Saturday, October 15, 2011

Korean glass noodles

Yeah, finally a new recipe that wasn't gross (had a couple of those last week.  One the big boys just refused to eat.)  This one everyone ate.  I even got Mr. Picky 3 year old to eat 5 bites that contained flecks of green (wouldn't eat a carrot though, but I have to at least admit that carrot was the one baby food he didn't like, and eating the spinach pieces made me happy.)  Mr. 5 year old ate all of his and asked if he could take any left overs to school in his lunch the next day.  That is saying something.  He's not a left overs dude.
The other bonus - other than chopping the carrots, (and onions, but mine were already chopped in the fridge) the meal was pretty simple to prepare.  Gotta love quick, easy, and liked by everyone.  The original recipe came from Family Feasts for $75 a week.  This is my adaptation of the recipe.


Ingredients

  • 8 oz. vermicelli or cellophane noodles
  • 12-16 oz. lean ground beef (I used a container of pre-cooked)
  • 1/2 -1 teaspoon garlic minces (I didn't measure, just sprinkled some on.)
  • 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
  • 1/4 -1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 4-5 mushrooms, sliced (I used a small handful of dehydrated which I crumbled in my hand to equate chopped)
  • 1 packed cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Directions
  1. Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain, then rinse under cold running water.  
  2. Meanwhile add beef and garlic to a large skillet (cook beef if raw, or just heat up if previously frozen pre-cooked beef.)  I added a bit of water at this point  to help rehydrate the garlic minces.  Add carrot and green onions, cook 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.  Add mushrooms and spinach.  Cook 2-3 minutes until spinach starts to wilt.  (again adding a bit of water if it looks too dry.)
  3. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and sesame seeds.  Add to skillet and toss.  (I needed lots more water here so I added about 1/4-1/3 cup to the bowl I had stirred the sesame mix in to rinse it out and tossed it in the pan.  Really helped give the meal enough liquid to not be dry.)  Add noodles and stir until well coated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails