Tuesday, August 9, 2011

sweet corn bread

When we made three bean chili the other day, Brandon wanted to make corn bread.  It is actually very traditional for us to make cornbread with three bean chili, so I looked for my regular recipe on the blog and it wasn't there.  I couldn't believe I had never posted it.  This is my favorite corn bread recipe.  It is the one my mom used.  She has called it Marie Calendar's corn bread before, but in my mom recipe book it just says sweet corn bread.
Normally we make this in a 8 X 8, 9 X 13, or if we want to be quick, in a cup cake pan, but this day, Brandon decided he would make these as waffles.  They worked out fine that way.  A bit drier than usual as a waffle, but super speedy to make that way.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar (or 1/2 spenda, 1/2 sugar, or other healthier substitute)
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
Directions
  1. Mix dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).  In another container mix wet ingredients (oil, butter, eggs and milk.)
  2. Mix the wet and dry ingredients.  Pour into greased 8 X 8 pan or double and use a 9 X 13 pan (or use muffin tins or make as waffles)  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes (8 X 8) or 45 for 9 X 13 - I think muffin tins take around 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails