Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Whole grain chia waffles

These I make different every time I make them.  I have way too much fun with them.  I will write the recipe we were given by Amoreena, but will add my notes.
As far as waffles go, these are just fine - they are waffles.  I figure they don't have to be spectacular if you are going to put some maple syrup on them.  They were also good with strawberry chia jam.  Now when I added some mashed banana (2) and some mini chocolate chips, then made a "syrup" that was 1 part maple syrup, 1 part peanut butter, melted in the microwave.  Now those were scrumptious and got remade a few times in a row.  Yummy!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of flour - really any combination will do.  My original says 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup spelt, but I've made them with lots of combinations of spelt, oat, wheat, barley, brown rice, and even probably bean.  Have fun.  I just usually keep at least 1/3 wheat.
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chia gel
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 -2 cups almond milk (I usually use vanilla if I'm using almond.  Any milk would do)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Mix dry ingredients.  Then add the rest.  When adding milk, add until you get a nice pouring consistency.  The batter will still be thick.  Cook in waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails