Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chicken and veggies

This made a decent chicken (which for me is saying something because since I started eating a lot more vegetarian, I don't really care for chicken much at all.)  I did have a couple of problems time wise with this recipe.  It said I could make it in a crock pot for 7-8 hours on low or 1.5 in the oven.  I translated that to 3-4 on high in the crock pot, but didn't have enough time for that so I did 2 in the crock pot on high and ended up with 1.5 in the oven and it still wasn't cooked all over.  We just ate the legs, thighs, and parts of the breast that got cooked through.  Just a warning to plan ahead with you time.
This is from the cheap fast good book, so it is super simple.  I just made it a bit more healthy since it used seasoning salt.  I'm not a big fan of the list of ingredients on that stuff so I used an organic no salt spice blend and sea salt.  Worked out well and had a great flavor.

Ingredients

  • 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 ribs celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 very large onion (seems all of ours are very large if going by the standard that 1 large = 1 cup diced.) cut into 8 pieces (or 2 smaller onions quartered)
  • 5 baking potatoes (medium to small size) peeled and quartered
  • 2 teaspoons organic no salt seasoning (I use one I got at costco)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 chicken, I used an organic chicken
Directions
  1. preheat oven to 350.  In a small container, mix no salt seasoning with sea salt.
  2. Prep veggies and toss in the bottom of a  large oven safe  pot with a lid (or crock pot).  Sprinkle about 1/2 of the seasoning mix on the veggies.
  3. Prepare the chicken by removing neck and any giblets that may be in the cavity of the bird.  Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water removing any excess fat.  I also removed the skin from everything but the legs.  Place the chicken, breast side up, in the pot on top of the veggies rearranging if necessary so the lid closes tightly.  Sprinkle with remaining seasoning mix.  
  4. Pour 1/2 cup water into the pot on the side of the chicken.
  5. Bake until meat thermometer reads 180 about 1.5 hours.  (I'd be happy with 160/165 and hope for some carryover.  
  6. cut chicken and serve with veggies.
alternative cooking - make in a crockpot and cook for 7-8 hours on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails