Tuesday, October 26, 2010

everything bread

This recipe was marked in my Taste of Home magazine as one I wanted to try, so I decided to make it to go with out tuna salad last night.  I did some altering of the recipe to suit my tastes, and make it a bit healthier.  I also skipped the first rise and just let the dough rest.  It still turned out well.  DH loved the salt on top (I actually halved the salt and still didn't like it, but I know I'm not a salt fan.)  I wasn't a fan of the caraway seed which I had also halved from the original recipe.  DH said it was the salt and onion that made this for him, so next time I'll probably leave the caraway seed off altogether.  Even at 1/2 teaspoon I thought it took over too much of the flavor because it is so strong of a seed.  Other than that, I really liked the bread.  I think I may have left it in just a tad long.  I was looking for a hot pad, but also thinking it had to look darker because the picture in the magazine did.  I'd take it out right at the 22 minute mark next time as well.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
  • 3/4 cups warm water
  • 1 cup warm milk (I used skim)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse seas salt or kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion (I only had chopped, but I crushed that with my mortar and pestle)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
Directions
  1. In a large bowl or mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add the milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and wheat flour.  Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.  Stir in enough of the flour to form a firm dough (It took all 2 1/2 cups for me yesterday.)  Knead until smooth. (by hand or in a mixer -5-8 minutes depending on mixer/by hand.) 
  2.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour.) (I did skip this step.  I just let it rest for 5 minutes, separated it into 3, rolled them a bit, let them rest, and rolled them all the way out.)
  3. Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured (or greased) surface;  divide into thirds.  Shape each into a 20 inch rope.  Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid.  Pinch ends to seal and tuck under.)  Cover and let rise until doubled (I boil water in my microwave and then stick my bread in there when it gets all steamy to let it rise.)
  4. Combine egg white and water.  Brush over dough.  Combine salt, onion, and seeds;  sprinkle over bread.  Bake at 375 for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.  (that was easier said than done because it made a nice large loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails