Monday, October 25, 2010

pumpkin cake with pecan coconut topping

This is probably my favorite thing to make with canned pumpkin.  I couldn't believe I hadn't posted it, so I finally made it just to post it, and that was 2 weeks ago.
This particular time, the cake came out thicker than normal and kind of cakey.  Usually it is a bit thinner.  I'm thinking it is because I was using a Betty crocker mix which has more than 4 cups in it.  Duncan Hines has less than 4 cups.  I don't have notes on Pillsbury.  
I originally got this recipe from a coworker.  It had you melt butter and pour it on top of the sugar, coconut, pecan mixture, but I didn't like making it that way.  I made it into a crumble.  That is my preferred way to make it and how I'm writing it up now.
Everyone around here loves this cake.  I personally love coconut and pecan.  How can you go wrong with that.  I really should have thought to take a nice picture of this on a plate.  I was a bit busy and had company when we made it so my picture isn't the greatest.

Ingredients
  • 1 box yellow cake mix (4 cups)
  • 1 regular can of pumpkin (original recipe has pumpkin pie filling, but I have never used it.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional -this is new this time around - it is still wonderful without it.)
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup butter
Directions
  1. Combine 3 cups of the box cake mix, eggs, pumpkin, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in the bowl of a mixer.  Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes until well blended.  
  2. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 cup cake mix, coconut, brown sugar, and butter and pecans in a bowl until crumbly.  (I usually do this with my hands.)  
  3. Pour cake batter into a greased 9X13 pan.  Sprinkle with coconut/pecan mixture.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails