Saturday, June 26, 2010

cobbler oatmeal

The idea for this recipe comes form Hungry Girl again.  It is based on her "fro-yo'ed up oatmeal sundae."  It is from her 200 under 200 calories book, and it came in at 198.  I didn't have to worry about being under 200 calories, and actually like to eat more than that in my breakfast, so I edited it.  I also forgot to pick up frozen yogurt so I used my light ice cream.  I don't think it changed the nutritional value much.  It was still a light ice cream, and I love the flavor of our vanilla.  But not using frozen yogurt, I can't very well call it fro-yo'ed anything.  I thought it tasted like a cobbler, so that is what I called it.    I also used more oatmeal, and a different mix of berries.  Soo yummy.  I made it for the boys, and DS1 and DS2 had seconds.  This could be made with any fruit.  I think it would be super tasty with peaches since it reminded me of a cobbler.  Cherries would also be good.  Here is how I made it the other day.

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon jam - I used home made strawberry, but could switch out for peach if making peach flavor.)
  • 1 teaspoon splenda (this was a little sweet for me, but it was so tasty.  You may want to use less if you don't like it too sweet.
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (I used our Saigon cinnamon, yum)
  • dash salt
  • 1/4 cup light vanilla ice cream (we like homemade vanilla flavor by bluebell or HEB)
  • 2 Large strawberries
  • 2 Tablespoons blueberries
  • 2 Tablespoons raspberries
  • 1 teaspoon sliced almonds (she used natural almond accents in oven roasted or honey roasted.  That would have been tasty, but I didn't have any and wasn't going to buy them just for this.  Regular sliced almonds were also plenty tasty.)
Directions

  1.  Combine oats and water in microwave safe dish. (make sure the sides are tall enough for the oatmeal to boil up a bit.)  Microwave for 3 minutes (with 1/2 cup oats/1 cup water I had to do 4 minutes)
  2. While the oatmeal is cooking, rinse berries and slice strawberries.  Get other ingredients out and ready.
  3. Remove oatmeal from microwave.  Add jam, splenda, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir until well combined.
  4. Scoop 1/4 cup ice cream (on my first on I actually shorted this a bit.  It was for me and I felt very weird putting ice cream on my breakfast.)  Put fruit on and around the ice cream.  Sprinkle with almonds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails