Saturday, June 12, 2010

Garlic marinated chicken with grilled potatoes

This recipe comes from another book I checked out of the library.  We'll see if I end up liking it.  I'm trying 2 recipes from it this week.  I liked that this recipe was a complete meal. I overcooked my chicken trying to get it to have a pretty color, so it was a bit try, but not so dry that I ended up with barbecue sauce.  My suggestion, don't overcook it.  It is a thin piece of meat, don't cook it too long.  (I definitely need a new thermometer.  I hate guessing if meat is done.)  I of course changed other things up.  I wasn't going to make some vinaigrette to go on my asparagus.  I just added garlic/herb seasoning to them as they cooked - way quicker and easier.  I also added some flavor to the potatoes. (which turned out really yummy - probably 5 star on their own.)  The book says it takes a total of 45 minutes, but since I was heating a charcoal grill it took longer.
Also, I honestly had no idea what "cutlets" were when I made this, so I just used the chicken breast I had, pounded it flat, and cut it in half.  Low and behold I just looked up what a cutlet was and it a tenderized piece of meat -chicken breast in this case.  I guess maybe they sell them somewhere, and the meal would have been quicker that way, but not by much.
Here is my version of the meal.



Ingredients

  • 1 bag (2 lbs) baby red new potatoes, halved or quartered if large
  • 1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons white-wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish  (I have lemon thyme, so I used about 1 Tablespoon of that, then sprinkled a bit of dried regular thyme into the marinade to have more thyme less lemony flavor.)
  • 1 1/2 lbs chicken cutlets  (chicken breast - I had 1 lb, 10 oz.  -3 breasts.  I pounded them flat and cut them in half.)
  • 1 bunch medium-thick asparagus, trimmed
  • garlic/herb blend
  • fat free tub butter (we have promise right now)
Directions
  1. Heat grill to medium.  Cut a large piece of heavy duty foil (3-4 feet.)  Place potatoes in the middle and make fold the foil around it making a packet.  Place on grill and cook for 25 minutes turning once.  (I ended up cooking these for about 20, then moving them over the the side of the grill with no coals while I cooked the asparagus, then the chicken.)
  2. Meanwhile, make the marinade;  In a 9 X 13 pan, mix 1 Tablespoon oil, garlic, vinegar, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Add the chicken; turn to coat.  Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes. (I probably left mine longer - like 20)
  3. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon oil.  Season with salt, pepper, and garlic/herb blend.  Grill until lightly browned and tender, 4-8 minutes.)  Set aside (I moved them to the other side of the grill.
  4. Lift chicken from marinade and grill until browned and cooked through (2-3 minutes per side.)  remove from grill.  Cover to keep warm (I didn't bother.) 
  5. Put tub butter in a large bowl.  Add garlic/herb blend and salt to taste. Remove warm potatoes from foil.  Place in bowl and toss to coat.  
  6. Serve.  Garnish with additional thyme if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails