As far as waffles go, these are just fine - they are waffles. I figure they don't have to be spectacular if you are going to put some maple syrup on them. They were also good with strawberry chia jam. Now when I added some mashed banana (2) and some mini chocolate chips, then made a "syrup" that was 1 part maple syrup, 1 part peanut butter, melted in the microwave. Now those were scrumptious and got remade a few times in a row. Yummy!
- 2 cups of flour - really any combination will do. My original says 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup spelt, but I've made them with lots of combinations of spelt, oat, wheat, barley, brown rice, and even probably bean. Have fun. I just usually keep at least 1/3 wheat.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chia gel
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 -2 cups almond milk (I usually use vanilla if I'm using almond. Any milk would do)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients. Then add the rest. When adding milk, add until you get a nice pouring consistency. The batter will still be thick. Cook in waffle iron.