- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice (I used lime juice)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons pinenuts, walnuts or sunflower seeds (I used walnuts)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thighs or breast halves (I used 1 lb 9 oz. of breast halves - may have only been 3, they were in a big block frozen when I tossed them in the crockpot.)
- sliced mozzarella cheese (enough slices to cover the chicken)
- aluminum foil
- 4 small sweet potatoes, washed well, skin on (Mine were larger than I wanted, but the smallest they had at the store so I chopped them in half. Not sure that was such a good idea. They blackened on the edges.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree. When it is liquefied, taste and season if necessary.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Top with mozzarella cheese. Pour pesto evenly on top. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Clean sweet potatoes well and place on top of the foil. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 6-7.