Tuesday, October 5, 2010

candy corn cookies

I just saw these on Jamie cooks it up today, and decided to make them because I thought they looked easy.  That is what I get for doing my own thinking.  I must say, it was probably much my fault because I did sub out some applesauce for melted butter, but I don't know why that would make the batter so much more sticky.  I added lots more flour.  The flavor was still good, but I did still have to refrigerate the dough, and when it warmed up, it was not fun to work with.  I think if I made these again, I'd just use my sugar cookie recipe and color them.  The concept it cute.  Or, I may try it again but with a different brand of cake mix.  They do vary on amount in the box.  I used betty crocker today.  Jamie had used Duncan Hines.  I might try that because like I said, the flavor was great.  I did decorate these the next day.  They were good.  These cookies seemed to get better the longer they sat.

Ingredients

  • 2 white cake mixes
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • red and yellow food coloring.
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined.  Divide dough into thirds.  Add yellow food coloring to 1/3, and red and yellow food coloring to the other third (I used like 10 drops red and 40 yellow for the orange color.)
  2. Divide each color ball in half (somehow I didn't manage to do this part -definitely suggest it though.  It would be easier to deal with smaller strips.  I kept thinking mine was making more because it had the extra flour - not because I can't follow directions somedays.)  Roll each 1/2 of a ball into a rectangle about 9 X 4 inches.  Cut the rectangles into strips just over an inch wide (3 strips per rectangle)  Place a white, yellow, and orange strip next to each other.  Push together slightly.  Cut into triangles. Go to Jamie cooks it up for lovely pictures of this entire step.  
  3. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  
Frost.  (I didn't, yet - I may still this afternoon.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails