Thursday, October 14, 2010

Balsamic chicken with potatoes and carrots

This recipe came from a book I checked out of the library long ago, and just recently checked out again to try some things that I wanted to try.  It is a slow cooker book.  I did not follow the directions exactly on this recipe. They had you cook everything in bacon grease.  I did cook some bacon first, but I used turkey bacon.  Sadly I forgot to add it to the finished meal sprinkled on top like I was supposed to.  I also added a bit more chicken broth, and think I could have added even more.  Other wise the vinegar flavor was a bit too strong.  I didn't think the flavor was too strong for the chicken, just the potatoes.  I also added carrots not in the original and wasn't particularly pleased by their flavor cooked in that much vinegar either.  DH said he thought they were really good.  I loved the chicken.  I wished I would have put more of it in.
Update - horrible heartburn this morning.  I don't think I can handle that much vinegar anymore.  It just knocked this rating down 1/2 a star.  The chicken was still smashing.
This is what I did.

Ingredients

  • 6 medium russet potatoes, quartered
  • 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-1 inch slices
  • 8 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.  (I used turkey bacon)
  • 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 2 lbs - 6 thighs I think.  I should have used more, but they wouldn't fit in my frying pan.)
  • 2  Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Put the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a 5-7 quart slow cooker.  Cook bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crisp and remove to paper towels to drain, leaving drippings in the pan.  (Using turkey bacon I had none.  I did spray the pan with cooking spray.
  2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Add to the pan.
  3. Brown the chicken on all sides, 12-15 minutes.  (I started from pretty frozen and cooked until browned with not much juice left.  Not sure how long it took - I was also trying to peal and cut my garlic and rosemary at this time.)  Deglaze the skillet with vinegar, scraping any browned bits from the bottom.  Pour contents of the pan into the slow cooker. 
  4. Add the chicken stock.  Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6.  Season with salt and pepper.
  5. sprinkle bacon on top of chicken to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails