Friday, October 8, 2010

Feta zucchini pancakes

I found this recipe in my taste of home healthy cooking magazine last month, but just got around to making it yesterday.  I changed it up a bit to work with what I had on hand.  Plus the original called for 1 cup zucchini.  I just shredded 1 medium zucchini and it was 2 1/2 cups so I adjusted accordingly.  These were really good.  I was a bit worried because I'm not the hugest fan of feta, but it was great in this dish.  Probably another cheese that I like better melted.  You could add another 1/4 cup panko, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup feta especially if you have closer to 3 cups zucchini.  You could also use more dill and parsley, but I liked the mix I ended up with.  Original had twice as much parsley and dill.
These were a really fun side.  Great new way to eat zucchini in my opinion.  Yum. (Sadly my zucchini hating husband wasn't home to give an opinion, but both of the big boys loved these.)

Update - 10/21 - Made these again.  This time my zucchini was much more wet.  It does benefit from the drying.  It was also a lot smaller - maybe 1 1/2 cups shredded. I used 1 egg, 1 T egg substitute, 3/8 cup panko, 3/8 cup feta, 1 teaspoon dill, 1 teaspoon parsley (dried for both) 2 teaspoons dried onions (I was in a hurry can you tell.)  It was still great, I thought it was a bit heavy on the dill though.

Ingredients

  • 1 medium zucchini, shedded (about 2 -2 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 
  • 2-4 green onions (I only used 1, but then tossed in some dehydrated onion as well.)
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley (purposely made this less)
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup feta
  • 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
Directions
  1. In a sieve or colander, drain zucchini, squeezing to remove excess liquid.  Pat dry.  (My zucchini wasn't super wet or anything.  I shredded it with the thicker side of my food processor.  I put it in a colander, and pushed down on it with a paper towel, but it didn't do much.)
  2. In a small bowl, combine eggs, bread crumbs, onions, parsley, dill, and garlic.  Stir in zucchini and cheese.
  3. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil;  press lightly to flatten.  Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using more oil as needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails