Friday, October 29, 2010

Chicken Enchilada chili (slow cooker)

I found this recipe on 365 crockpot and it looked good so I decided to give it a try.
I am trying hard to learn to use dried beans, so I thought I'd try it with this recipe.  After all, Stephanie said I could use them.  After having bad luck with the last beans and rice recipe I tried, and because it said on the blog that if I were using dry beans, it may take a bit longer to cook, I decided to try a new method to see if the beans would get done faster - No luck.  :(  Rather than just toss everything in the slow cooker, I put just the beans (soaked overnight and everything)  and liquids in the slow cooker.  Then I cooked that on high for a few hours.  Then I added my chicken and cooked it on low for 5-5 1/2 hours, but it still wasn't ready, so I shredded my chicken and bumped it back up to high.  It still wasn't done at 6:30.  Most of the beans were ok, so I served it anyway - kids had to get to scouts, but then I put it back on the slow cooker and left it for another hour and a half.  Then the beans were nice.  Next time, I think I'll try boiling the beans in a pot for an hour then putting them in the crock pot.  From some of the things I've read I don't think the beans absorb liquid well when they are in with acidic foods like tomatoes.  I didn't want to use canned beans because I thought they would turn to mush with so much cooking, but I will have to experiment to actually get the results I want.
As far as flavor goes, this was OK.  I was hoping it would have a bit stronger enchilada flavor than it did.  The tomatoes seemed to make the enchilada flavor lessen.  If making again, I may just use more enchilada sauce, and/or drain my tomatoes??  Not to sure.  I did use this for taco salad today where I added some taco sauce and that helped the flavor, but then again I love taco sauce.
Here is how I made it.  Including all of the directions to get my beans to be soft enough.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken (I used boneless skinless chicken breast)
  • 1 can (15 oz.) enchilada sauce
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans pinto or kidney beans, undrained (or 1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked overnight-I tried to use these but was not super successful.)
  • 1 onion, diced (or 1 Tablespoon dried, minced onion flakes - I used these because I was out of onion.)
  • 1-2 teaspoons chili powder 
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
Directions (if using dry beans.)
  1. Pour enchilada sauce and canned tomatoes into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.  Add beans, celery, onion and spices.  Stir to combine.  Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
  2. Add the chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 -5 hours.
  3. Shred the chicken.  Cover and cook on high for 1-3 more hours until beans are desired tenderness.

If using canned beans, just put everything in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

We served ours with sour cream and white cheddar cheese on top.  I made some cheddar quesadillas to go on the side.  I would have liked it with chips as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails