Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkin granola

I was a cooking fool yesterday morning - ok, maybe yesterday in general.  I ended up making 2 breakfasts.  We only ate one, but I made 2.  I had made the pumpkin bagels, and that used only part of a can of pumpkin so I had seen a recipe for pumpkin granola that used canned pumpkin so I decided to make that as well.  I still didn't use up all of the pumpkin.  I need to find another recipe to try.
 I didn't have the pumpkin seeds, but I think I will pick them up today and add them.  This granola took a bit longer than I expected to cook, and didn't crisp up as much as I expected.  I think part of my problem with the last 2 granolas I have made is that I have used fresh rolled oats.  They are a lot heartier than regular oats, and I think it changes my results.  I'm also putting regular oats on my shopping list for granola and cookie making.  Still love my fresh oats for oatmeal though.
Other notes on this granola - it wasn't as sweet as I expected.  I almost cut back on the sugar a bit, but I'm really glad I didn't.  It wasn't overly sweet.  I still haven't eaten this with milk.  I'm sure that will make it better.  (Solve some of my fresh oats problems.)  It will have to wait until tomorrow though.  I'm eating another pumpkin bagel today.  YUM.
Oh, didn't give credit where credit was due.  I found this at two peas and their pod.  I didn't change anything. Oops as I type I see that I did change some things - I added a bit of cloves and allspice because my pumpkin pie mix seemed old and lacking in smell and therefore flavor.  Not including that in the recipe though.    I did  add a bit more dried cranberries which I did add to the recipe.
Just found out they got the recipe from here.  I like the addition of puffed rice to change things up a bit.  now I want to try that as well.

Ingredients

  • 5 cups oats
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.  
  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices and salt.  Mix well.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.  
  4. Pour wet mix into oats and stir until the oats are evenly coated.  Spread onto prepared pan.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and stir.  Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until granola is golden and crisp.  (I baked mine for the additional 20 and it didn't seem crisp, but I needed to go somewhere so I took it out.  It did crisp up a bit.)  Remove from oven and stir in cranberries and seeds.  Let cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails