Monday, October 25, 2010

Pasta Fagioli Soup

I get a lot of e-mails from different places of recipes and I am famous for not looking at them.  I never want to erase them because I want to look at them and see if there is anything I would like to try.  I finally looked through a few of them the other day and that is where I found this recipe.  It is from allrecipes.com.
I must admit, I did get lazy and just used a can of diced tomatoes because I was running short on time, and I didn't find any spinach pasta that the recipe called for, but the soup still turned out very nice.  A bit spicier than I expected.   1/4 teaspoon just didn't seem like an overabundance of red pepper flakes.   I would probably cut the red pepper flakes in half next time for my anti-spicy family, but it was still good.  I served it with a Caesar salad.


Ingredients

  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 Tablespoon butter (not in original recipe, but we needed something to cook the veggies in.)
  • 1 onion. chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (original recipe had 2 peeled, chopped tomatoes)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked pasta 
  • 1 15 oz. can great northern beans, undrained
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt until onion is translucent.  Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  2. Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender (we did 7 minutes because that is what our pasta box said to cook it for.)
  3. Stir in beans and heat through.  Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.



Directions

  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt until onion is translucent. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Add pasta and cook 10 minutes, until pasta is tender.
  3. Add undrained beans and mix well. Heat through. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails