Saturday, October 23, 2010

carrot cake pancakes with maple cream cheese

I know I'm behind on blogging because it has been a busy week, but I can't really decide where to start, so I'll just start with this morning's breakfast.  Brandon fed everyone cold cereal while I was out running, but I didn't want that.  I've had cereal 2 days in a row, and it is Saturday - definitely not a cereal day in my book, so after much debate I decided that it was still worth making pancakes even just for me.  I was trying these for myself anyway because I love carrot cake.  I found the recipe over at recipe shoebox.  Love that site because she has tons of awesome breakfast recipes.  These did not disappoint.  I liked them a lot plain.  Of course with the cream cheese they were still good although I'm not sure which way I liked them better.  One was just different.
I do want to mess with this recipe a little bit and almost did today, but it was late and I was the only one eating, so I decided against it.  I'd love to try it with pineapple in it sometime though because that's how I love actual carrot cake.  My only other note to self would be to shred the carrots on the thinner side of the grater.  Thicker was fine, the carrots were fine, I just think they would spread out in the pancake a little better if there were more thinner shreds.  I did love the toasted flavor of the pecans.  I almost didn't toast them, but I'm glad I did.
Here is the recipe with my adaptations.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flower
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Directions
  1. Put carrots in a microwave safe bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Heat on high for 1 minute to soften.  Set aside to cool.
  2. Toast pecans in a small frying pan just until fragrant.  Set aside.
  3. Whisk together dry ingredients and pecans. Mix Wet ingredients.  Mix wet and dry together just until combined.  Stir in carrots.
  4. Bake on griddle at about 350.  
Yield (15 pancakes for me - about 3-4 inches)


Maple cream cheese spread
Ingredients

  • 3 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (I used neufchatel and nuked it for 15 seconds to soften.)
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.  Serve on pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails