Monday, October 4, 2010

buttermilk waffles with buttermilk syrup

I found this recipe on Recipe shoebox.  I decided to try it because I needed to use some buttermilk.  I doubled the recipe, but that seemed like so much butter that I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 applesauce.  I also almost always beat my egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them in, but resisted here, and the waffles still ended up fluffy.  I did however think they were actually a bit eggy.  I used 1/2 egg (4 eggs) and 1/2 egg substitute (had some of that to use as well.)   I liked the pecans in the waffle, but not particularly the waffle.  I'd love to try putting pecans in my favorite waffle recipe -tender sour cream waffles.  Yum.
My final comment is that these were really good with the buttermilk syrup.  That is a 5 star.  Loved it.  The waffles were good with the syrup, but I didn't like them very much with regular maple syrup or plain.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups flour (I think I used 1/2 wheat)
  • 2 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 eggs (I used 4 eggs and 1/2 cup egg substitute)
  • 4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • chopped pecans
Directions
  1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, beat eggs until light.  Add buttermilk, and applesauce; mix well.  Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth.  Stir in butter.  
  2. Cook in waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions, sprinkling with pecans just before closing the lid.  In my waffle iron, that is 2 cups batter, and it beeps when it is ready.  

Buttermilk syrup
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 Tablespoon light Karo syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional - I did not use this)
Directions
  1. Combine butter, sugar, buttermilk, and Karo syrup in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until bubbling evenly.   Let cook for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the baking soda and vanilla (and cinnamon if using.)  Stir until blended.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails