Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wheat berry muffins

I saw these muffins over on recipe shoebox a couple of weeks ago and wanted to try them.  Mostly they looked fun because they went with the book to the side.  I checked the book out of the library and read it but haven't gotten around to making the muffins.  Since the book goes back tomorrow I decided to try the muffins today.
The batter for these muffins was exceedingly thick.  More like cookie dough than muffin batter.  I was glad when stirring in my blueberries that they were frozen or they would have been mashed I'm afraid.  I wasn't happy that my blueberries were frozen when they took an extra 10 minutes to cook, but actually that turned out ok today because my younger set of boys actually slept in and I didn't make these until the older boys were off to school.
The muffins were pretty tasty, but I wasn't a huge fan of the sunflower seeds.  Sometimes I like them in things - like broccoli salad, but other times I don't - like sometimes they overpower a granola.  Here they were OK, but took a muffin that could have been great down to good or OK. (really only 3 star for me.  They get 4 so I'll look at them again, read this note and try them with pecans.) So, if I made these again, I'd definitely leave the sunflower seeds out - maybe sub in some pecans.  Love those anytime.  Oh, I did also sub 1/2 applesauce for butter.  No ill effects.

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup splenda
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (Grandma's secret ingredient - I'd still change them to pecans.)


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix together eggs, butter, applesauce, sugar, splenda, and almond extract.  
  2. In another bowl (actually today I cheated and mixed this right on top.  It was a pretty thick liquid so it worked fine and I didn't dirty yet another bowl.)  mix the flours, baking powder, and salt.  Add that to the egg mixture.  Stir until combined.  Gently stir in blueberries and sunflower seeds.  (This batter is thick)  Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for about 20-25 minutes.  (It actually took me about 35 minutes to get mine golden.  Blaming that on the frozen blueberries.)  Yield: 12 muffins







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails