Saturday, October 16, 2010

donut muffins

This recipe comes from the King Arthur flour website.  I saw it here and here.  Tavio likes a glazed donut so I decided to go with that version although I made my own glaze.  I wanted it a bit thicker, but not as thick as icing.
these turned out delicious.  I think they would also be good with the crumb topping.  It may actually go better with the cakier texture of the muffin.
 I for once didn't change anything.  Left all of the sugar and the oil.  Next time I'd try swapping out the oil for applesauce and sugar for splenda.  I don't think it would make a remarkable change in the texture of the muffin.

Here's the recipe from the King arthur flour website plus my glaze.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste (must have looked elsewhere I used only 3/4 teaspoon.)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)



Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with cooking spray
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. (I did 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 2/3 cup flour)
6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
7) Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a toothpick inserted into one of the center muffins comes out clean.
8) Top with glaze (below)

Glaze ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 Tablespoon milk
Directions
  1. Whisk all ingredients until smooth.
  2. I actually dipped the tops of my muffins in the glaze and rolled them around a bit.  I tried spreading with a knife for 1, but dipping was way easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails