Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lemon herb roast chicken with pan gravy

I'm getting a bit behind with my blogging for some reason.  I got 2 done this morning, but I still have 2 or 3 to go not to mention the pictures I haven't added.
This recipe is from my dinner on Sunday.  It came from my Taste of home magazine, but it was actually a Campbell's recipe.  I changed it up a bit by using split chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.  I almost bought the chicken, but then I remembered that I had the split breasts in the freezer so that won.  It worked out better because we invited extra people over and this gave us more meat.  My plan was to serve this with green beans, but our guest was bringing a salad, so I made confetti rice.
They baked up beautifully.  We just popped a kitchen thermometer in them and let them get to 160.  Not sure how long that took.  They were good with the gravy as well.
DH was in charge of making the gravy.  It called for white wine.  I'm pretty sure he used chicken stock instead so that is what I'll write in the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (1 1/2 -2 lemons)
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (only 1/2 -1 lemon)
  • 1 can Cream of chicken soup (I use the lower fat one.
  • 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves (or 1 teaspoon crushed - we used fresh here)
  • 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed (used dried here)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 roasting chicken 5-7 lbs.  (we used split breast 6-7 lbs -6  breasts)
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup water 
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375.  Place chicken into a shallow roasting pan (we don't have one.  We roasted ours on our cooling rack on a cookie sheet.) Roast chicken for 20 minutes.
  2.  Meanwhile, Stir lemon zest, lemon juice, soup, rosemary, thyme and garlic in medium bowl.  Reserve 1 cup soup mix for gravy.  Brush chicken with 1/4 cup soup mixture. 
  3. Return to oven and roast 1 hour 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (160 on meat thermometer.  Pretty sure this took less than 1 hour and 15 - more like 45-60 minutes for us.)  Remove chicken to a serving platter.  
  4. At this point you can spoon off the fat from the pan juices then make a gravy in the roasting pan, but we didn't use a roasting pan, so we just heated the soup mix in a saucepan adding a bit of the drippings along with the chicken stock and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails