Monday, October 4, 2010

Jello popcorn

I was looking for a fun popcorn recipe to try.  My thoughts were that I could make it to entertain little ones during general conference.  I found this recipe over on Our best bites.  I totally burned my first batch.  The directions on the website say not to use the sugar free jello, but I used my only jello with sugar on the first batch. I also used up all of my corn syrup.  I had some more, but it was the lighter corn syrup that I had bought to try.  I decided to go ahead and try it out again anyway with the lighter corn syrup and the sugar free jello, and it worked wonderfully.  Hey, better than my first batch because I burned that.  I did make sure I stirred it continuously while it was simmering, and I also kept lowering the temperature so it wasn't such a heavy boil.  (The first batch I kept the heat up too high and ran to check the computer for the directions which is when it decided to burn.)  I also upped the amount of popcorn, and it was still super sweet.  For me, I could use even more popcorn to have a little lighter flavoring.  I like flavor, but this was seriously sweet. Maybe it was just the flavor, but it was sweet.  The burned batch was absolutely disgusting, so I don't suggest that.  lol.  It tasted like burned cough syrup or something.  Not something edible.  However, it didn't seem quite as sweet.  Kind of strange since it was the batch with the sugar jello.
Also, I actually found that the sugar free jello was a bit easier to work with because it was more liquid.  The sugary jello is very thick until all of the sugars dissolve, but the sugar free was more of a liquid from the beginning.  It still hardened perfectly after being in the oven.  I actually left a bit out of  the oven, to test the results and it was very sticky/chewy.  After the oven, it was nice and stuck together, but dry - broke into pieces nicely.  The sugary one I burned I never even put in the oven and it hardened right up anyway.


The orange is the good one.  The dark was supposed to be raspberry.  You can even see that it burned by the darker color.





Ingredients

  • 10 cups popped popcorn (original was 8, I'd probably try 12-14 next time)
  • 3 Tablespoons corn syrup
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 - 4 serving size package of jello (about .4 oz if it is sugar free, 3 oz. if it has sugar.  I used sugar free and it worked fine.)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300.  Line a large cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) with parchment of foil sprayed with cooking spray (I just used the non-stick foil - worked great.)  Pop the popcorn into a large bowl.  Take out any kernels.  (I actually popped my popcorn into one bowl, then measured it into another so I could take out the kernels.  I also sprayed the big bowl with cooking spray.)
  2. Combine corn syrup, butter in a medium saucepan.  Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted.  Add the sugar and jello.  Increase heat and cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.  Reduce to simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
  3. Pour jello syrup over popcorn and stir until well combined.  Spread popcorn out on prepared cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.  
  4. Take out, allow to cool and break into pieces.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling your experience. I had seen the recipe on OBB, too and had wondered about the SF jello. I appreciate your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Not sure I would have tried the sugar free had I not been in a pinch. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails