I was impressed that the marinade gave soo much lemon flavor. Here is our version of the recipe.
**Needs to marinate all day**
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 4-5 small sweet peppers, sliced. (or 1 large cut in to thin strips)
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin strips
- pita pockets or flat bread
- 1 envelope dried onion soup mix (or try 3-5 Tablespoons of this mix)
- 1 16 oz container of plain yogurt (definitely recommend a greek if you want a thicker sauce)
- 1 cup shredded cucumber (that was 1 large English cucumber for me.)
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless steak, cut into thin strips (I used a flank steak sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In the morning, mix the steak marinade ingredients in a zip top bag. Refrigerate and marinate all day.
- When ready to serve, mix together the yogurt sauce ingredients. Keep cold until steak is cooked.
- Pour steak and marinade into a large saute pan. Cook on high heat until steak is tender and cooked through. (do not over cook.)
- To serve, place steak, cabbage, bell pepper, and tomatoes in a pita. Top with yogurt sauce.