Friday, September 23, 2011

Creamy curry cauliflower and broccoli soup

So, this week I tried something new.  I actually went to dealstomeals.com and did their free trial and let them plan my menu and do my grocery list.  I'm apparently a big goober because somehow I never found the link for the grocery list.  I'm not sure if I'll continue to do that, but for this week, it was simple -even with making my own list.
I ended up checking out the site yet again because she had a sun oven giveaway going on. That is definitely worth checking out.
So the first recipe I tried out this week was a curry cauliflower broccoli soup.  I did worry about the curry, but had the 2 children at home for dinner that evening smell it and they said they would like it so I went ahead and threw it in.  I liked it just fine.   I don't think either of them did.  I think you could make this soup and omit the curry, but maybe add a bit more garlic and onion.  Maybe some oregano??  Something to give it a different flavor.  DH came through and sampled a bite (he was eating elsewhere with DS1.)  He definitively didn't like it with the curry, but he is not a curry fan.
I found the directions on the site a bit hard to follow - like it wanted you to combine flour and milk but never said how much flour. I actually used white bean flour to thicken it a bit.  That worked well and hey, it added some protein and fiber.  :)
Here is my version of this soup

Ingredients

  • 4 cups chicken stock (1 32 oz. container.)
  • 1 cup finely diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I was out and used 1/2 teaspoon garlic minces.)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped (It seems like a ton finely chopped but it works.)
  • 2 broccoli crowns, finely chopped
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 Tablespoons white bean flour (or regular flour - although I may start with less on the regular flour)
  • 2 cups (or handfuls if you measure like I do) cheddar cheese plus more for serving.
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a large stock pot.  Add onion and garlic minces and saute until onion is tender and starting to brown.  Add salt and pepper and the chicken stock.  Add the cauliflower, broccoli and cayenne pepper.  Simmer until vegetables are tender.  
  2. Mix in milk and white bean flour (If using regular flour, whisk it into them milk first then add it to the soup.  Cook and let thicken slightly.  At this point I also stuck in my immersion blender and blended up maybe 1/3 of the broccoli/cauliflower.  That made the soup thicker. 
  3. Add the cheese and stir until combined.  Serve in bowls.  Sprinkle with more cheddar cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails