Sunday, September 18, 2011

Spinach pasta casserole

Somehow I ended up with a baked rigatoni and spinach pasta casserole only 2 days apart in my actual menu plan a couple of weeks ago. (both pasta sauce based meals)  I don't think I'll blog about the other because this was the better of the 2.  They were very similar only  this one also included spinach -giving it more veggies and in fact was vegetarian.  I ate the left overs a couple of days and so did Duncan - cold even in his school lunch.  That is my new judge of how good a meal was - will anyone eat the left overs?  This meal passes that test.

Ingredients

  • 10 oz pasta (I used a twist pasta, but any would do)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/8 cup (2 T) oil (I use a healthy blend)
  • 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained - or 10 oz fresh, chopped and sauteed until wilted (that is what I did, but I always have fresh spinach I need to use.  frozen would be quicker and easier.)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 39 oz jar pasta sauce
  • 8 oz mozzarella cheese (although I didn't measure and probably used a bit more)
  • small sprinkle of Romano cheese (you could certainly use more, I just worried about some picky eaters and only used a little)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and place in a large bowl
  3. In a small bowl, mix together egg and oil.  Add to the pasta and toss.  Add the spinach, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning and toss again.
  4. On the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish, pour half of the spaghetti sauce.  Add half of the pasta mixture.  Sprinkle half of the mozzarella.  Repeat the layers, topping with a bit of Romano.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes till bubbly and slightly browned on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails