Friday, September 30, 2011

soup mixes

So, somehow in the last 2 days I've managed to be out of 2 different soups/mixes that I needed for various recipes.  One was lipton onion soup mix.  I thought I had 3 in the pantry, but was mistaken.  Thank goodness for the internet there.  I found one at food.com.  The other was cream of mushroom soup - I've actually been trying to eliminate using those so I haven't bought anymore and I forgot the recipe I decided to make on a whim called for it (more on that next post.)  Luckily I found a great substitute in a book (family feasts for $75  that I have checked out of the library.  So, here are my 2 soup mix substitutes with my commentary.

Onion soup mix

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup dehydrated onion
  • 1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
  • 4 teaspoon onion powder (I actually had less because I ran out but it was still fine)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seeds (I don't know about crushed, mine just say celery seeds and are very tiny already.)
  • (original called for 1/4 teaspoon sugar -I couldn't see the need to add this so I didn't.)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients and store in and airtight container.
  2. About 5 Tablespoons are equal to 1 package store bought.  (I used 3 rounded Tablespoons for the recipe I was making and it was plenty strong but I think the bouillon I have is particularly flavorful.)

Cream of anything soup

Ingredients
  • 3 cups powdered milk
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup powdered chicken bouillon (I actually didn't add this when I used it last night and I don't think I would add it next time.  see directions below)
  • 2 Tablespoons onion powder (actually didn't have this at all (see above recipe I had made the night before :)  I just tossed in some extra dehydrated onions to the actual recipe.)
  • 1 teaspoons thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 Tablespoons butter powder (optional - didn't have it for cream of mushroom last night.)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Store in and airtight container at room temperature up to a year.)
To make soup:
  1. In a medium-size saucepan, combine 1/2 cup dry soup mix with 1 1/4 cups water, 1 Tablespoon butter (if you didn't put butter powder in the mix), and desired flavorings (see below)
Cream of chicken - no extra seasonings - although my plan in the future is to make it with chicken stock and not add the bouillon to the mix.  I just didn't think it through last night as I was hurriedly trying to get dinner prepared.
Cream of mushroom:  Add 1/2 cup minced mushrooms.  I actually added the mix (no bouillon) a Tablespoons of beef bouillon, water, and dehydrated/freeze dried (not sure which I have) that I just crushed in my hand.  It was really good that way (in the recipe at least)
Cream of celery:  Add 1/2 cup minced celery.  You can puree soup when it cools if necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails