Monday, September 26, 2011

High protein apple waffles/pancakes

Here is another recipe from the bean book I'm borrowing from a friend.  I don't think it was all that much different than the mix I am currently using, but it did have a higher percentage of bean flour = higher protein and fiber so more nutritious.  They also have a slightly nicer texture than the mix pancakes but I would say that is 90% due to the fact that you mix them with stiff egg whites.  How are they not going to have a nice texture?   Like the other recipe I made from the bean book, these were super filling.

The only problem with them is that they stuck pretty bad to the waffle iron.  Usually with my nice waffle iron, the first will stick on a recipe, but after that the rest will be fine with no cooking spray.  These had to be sprayed well for each waffle or much sticking ensued. Next time I would just make them as pancakes.  The recipe does say they can also be made into Ebelskivers which I had to google to find out what were - Danish pancakes for those not familiar with the term.  But apparently they have their own special pan, so they aren't something I'll be trying in the near future.

Be warned that this recipe does make a ton of waffles/pancakes.  If you don't plan to refrigerate or freeze for later, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half.  Also the warning is nice for choosing a bowl size.  My normal 8 cup bowl did not work.  Not a problem, I just added the ingredients to the kitchen aid bowl that had whipped the egg whites.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup fine white bean flour (I have a mill and grind my own)
  • 1 Tablespoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup dry milk powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 3 Tablespoons oil or applesauce (I used applesauce, but added 1 Tablespoon of oil mid way through cooking due to the sticking issues.  Next time I'll just add the oil rather than the applesauce)\
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 4 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
  • 1 large grated apple (I'd probably add 2 next time - you really couldn't taste the apple even though I used applesauce too.)
Directions
  1. Combine dry ingredients.  Add honey, buttermilk, water, oil and egg yolks and stir until well combined.  Fold in egg whites and apple.  
  2. Bake as pancakes or waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails