Also, the first time I made these I tried adding some chocolate chips. Of course they just melted and ended up making a mess. I ended up making about 2/3 of the batch of popcorn balls and the last 1/3 got turned into popcorn 'muddy buddies' because they were so covered in melted chocolate by that time that they would no longer stick together.
This time I used chopped dried cherries as an add in and rolled them in coconut. Soo yummy. I'm sure I would have devoured all of them if I hadn't made these evil creatures and devoured them instead. The popcorn balls are actually still around because I packaged them in baggies and put them at the bottom of the snack bucket. I can't easily get to them - out of sight, out of mind -but no less delicious. :)
The original recipe came from Eating well magazine. I actually double it because that is how much popcorn I make in one batch in my air popper.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup add ins (like dried fruits or nuts or pretzel pieces) I used dried cherries this day - didn't measure 1/2 cup though
- 1/2 cup roll-ins (coconut, sesame seeds, finely chopped nuts, finely ground granola...)
- Pop popcorn kernels in an air popper and remove any unpopped kernels. (should yield 12-14 cups popped) Place in a large bowl and pour any add-ins on top of the popcorn. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with parchment, wax paper, or a silicon baking mat.
- In a small saucepan, combine the agave and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it starts to bubble. Continue cooking and stirring for 15 seconds more.
- Immediately stir into the popcorn mixing until well coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray (or dip in ice water - I've tried both and they both work) Quickly and firmly press popcorn mixture into balls. Roll in any roll-ins you may be using. Place on prepared baking sheet.