Saturday, September 17, 2011

agave-peanut butter popcorn balls

These are not next on my list if going backwards.  Truthfully I made these for the first time probably a month ago but I was out of agave and used honey and I've wanted to try them with agave before posting.  I was much more pleased with how the agave ones turned out.  I worried that I would have trouble with the mixture spreading to all of the popcorn, but I just kept mixing and it spread out just fine.
Also, the first time I made these I tried adding some chocolate chips.  Of course they just melted and ended up making a mess.  I ended up making about 2/3 of the batch of popcorn balls and the last 1/3 got turned into popcorn 'muddy buddies' because they were so covered in melted chocolate by that time that they would no longer stick together.
This time I used chopped dried cherries as an add in and rolled them in coconut.  Soo yummy.  I'm sure I would have devoured all of them if I hadn't made these evil creatures and devoured them instead.  The popcorn balls are actually still around because I packaged them in baggies and put them at the bottom of the snack bucket.  I can't easily get to them - out of sight, out of mind -but no less delicious.  :)
The original recipe came from Eating well magazine.  I actually double it because that is how much popcorn I make in one batch in my air popper.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
  • 1/2 cup agave
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
Optional ingredients
  • 1/2 cup add ins (like dried fruits or nuts or pretzel pieces)  I used dried cherries this day - didn't measure 1/2 cup though
  • 1/2 cup roll-ins (coconut, sesame seeds, finely chopped nuts, finely ground granola...)
Directions
  1. Pop popcorn kernels in an air popper and remove any unpopped kernels.  (should yield 12-14 cups popped)  Place in a large bowl and pour any add-ins on top of the popcorn.  Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with parchment, wax paper, or a silicon baking mat.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the agave and peanut butter.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it starts to bubble.  Continue cooking and stirring for 15 seconds more.  
  3. Immediately stir into the popcorn mixing until well coated. 
  4. Spray hands with cooking spray (or dip in ice water - I've tried both and they both work)  Quickly and firmly press popcorn mixture into balls.  Roll in any roll-ins you may be using.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails