Monday, May 30, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Omelet

There was a cool section on omelets in my Taste of home simple and delicious magazine.  Some were nothing interesting - or at least for me.  I grew up with a dad that would make a peanut butter and jelly omelet and I have made that for my kids before.  The other ideas tomato and green pepper, ham and swiss, chorizo/salsa, Italian, potato bacon - just normal stuff you toss in an omelet (or at least for me) but I never would have thought to make an apple cinnamon omelet.  I guess normal people probably don't think of peanut butter and jelly, but knowing the sweetness of jelly was good in an omelet, I decided I really wanted to try apple cinnamon.  It was pretty tasty.  I liked it.  This will definitely go in my repertoire as an omelet filling.  You could also use other fruits.  Peaches and cinnamon would be good, so would berries, or a tropical.  This one recipe opened up a whole new dimension of possibilities for omelet making. Thank you Taste of home magazine.  
One final thing I really liked about this that changed the flavor of the omelet a bit was that they had you saute the apples in cinnamon and butter and then pour them on a plate, but add the egg mixture directly to the pan.  That ended up giving the actual omelet a little bit of cinnamon which I really liked.   This did make an enormous omelet.  We split them between 2 people. - or 3 if little kids were involved.  I'm not sure if we actually followed the directions particularly well on the number of eggs we used, nor am I sure if we added the water.  I'm writing the recipe as in the book, but I will note that I usually just make my omelets with egg - no water, and I'm sure I just added a dash of salt and pepper.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced, peeled tart apple - we actually just used 1 medium granny smith, diced (not peeled)
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 3 eggs (I think we used 4 - we were using a larger pan than normal)
  • 3 Tablespoons water (Pretty sure we didn't use this on either batch)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper - I didn't measure just tossed in a dash.
Directions
  1. Whisk together the eggs, water (if using) salt and pepper.  Set aside.
  2. In a nonstick skillet, saute the apple, cinnamon and sugar in butter.  Remove from skillet.    Pour egg mixture into the pan and cook.  Recipe in magazine has you "push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath."  I've always made an omelet by pouring the egg in, putting a lid on the pan and cooking until the top is set.  Either way, when set,  place filling on one half of the omelet and fold the other half over the top.  Top with shipped cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails