Saturday, May 29, 2010

Peach black bean soup

Just made this recipe for lunch.  It is my adaptation of Hungry Girl's Peachy-keen black bean soup.  Hers is completely pureed and I wanted some chunks in mine.  I liked that it was super simple.  It does make a ton though.  If others in the family decide they don't want any for lunch I will try freezing it.  Next time, since I left whole beans, I would probably simmer it for a while rather than letting it sit in the fridge for an hour.  Either that or let it sit in the fridge longer.

Ingredients

  • 3 15 oz. cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 cups chicken stock (could use vegetable stock to be vegetarian)
  • 1 16 oz. jar peach salsa
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • optional toppings - I used sour cream and lime today, but may try cheddar cheese next time.  I also think it would be good with some green onions on top.
Directions
  1. Put 2 cans of black beans, the chicken stock, about 1/3 of the peach salsa and the cumin in a blender and puree.  (I rinsed all of my beans together and added about 2/3 because that looked like about how many I wanted left as chunks - do what looks good to you.  You can blend all of the salsa and all of the beans, but I really wanted the chunks.  There were nice chunks of peaches in my salsa, not to mention I wanted to feel like I ate lunch, not just drank it.)
  2. Pour into a large bowl with a lid, add remaining beans and salsa and stir.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour (more would be better, but like I said, I think I would actually just simmer this if I did it again.)
  3. When ready to eat, remove from fridge, stir to blend, and either heat on the stove or microwave.  Sprinkle with whatever toppings you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails