Sunday, May 16, 2010

Overnight peach french toast

I found this recipe at realmomkitchen.  She had found it somewhere else and modified it a bit.  I also modified it a bit because I wanted to make a bit more and I wanted to add blackberries.  Plus I didn't feel the need to make more whipped cream with all of the cream that was in the recipe so I just topped mine with rediwhip.  DH was helping me cook and the first time we made the caramel topping, he had it at a rolling boil not a simmer.  I stopped it after 8 minutes because it looked like it was at a hard crack stage or something and sure enough it was.  Then he had put it in a 9X13 and I wanted a 10 X 15 so we ended up tossing that and starting again.  Again he had the sauce at a rolling boil so I took it off as soon as I caught it like that which was probably only a minute.  The sauce wasn't very caramely, but it was still very good.  If I make it again, I will do the sauce myself and try to actually simmer it for 10 minutes to see what actually happens.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 (29 oz) can sliced peaches, drained (I used 2 15 oz)
  • 1 container of blackberries
  • 5-6 (1 inch thick) slices good sourdough bread (It was the whole loaf minus 2 small slices on the edge)
  • 5 eggs
  • ¾ cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup milk (I was just adding to stretch this and used skim since I figured it had plenty of fat already.)
  • 1 T. vanilla
  • cinnamon
Topping:
  • rediwhip
  • cinnamon
  1. In a saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter and water. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Pour brown sugar mixture into a 10 by 15 baking dish, covering the bottom evenly. Layer the peaches and blackberries over the brown sugar mixture.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, heavy cream and vanilla.
  4. Dip  the bread slices in the egg mixture to coat evenly. Lay bread slices over peaches.  Depending on the size of the bread will depend on how many slices you can fit in the pan.  I got 6.  Pour the left over egg mixture over each slice.  
  5. Sprinkle bread slices with cinnamon over the top. (oops, forgot the cinnamon.)  Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
  6. Preheat oven to 350F. Remove the dish from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Bake covered for 20 minutes then uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
  7. To serve, remove bread slice from pan turning so bottom side is now up.  Top with peach slices from bottom of pan and drizzle with syrupy sauce left in the pan.  Top each serving with a squirt of rediwhip and sprinkle with cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails