Friday, May 28, 2010

scalloped potatoes

This is the side I had with the pork chops. I found it on melskitchen too, but she had adapted it from a recipe on serious eats, and I didn't want to use blue cheese, so I used the serious eats recipe. I also wanted to modify these not to use the cream, maybe sub out sour cream or some cream of soup, but I didn't only because I actually had cream in the refrigerator from something else. I also did not have a cast iron skillet, but I do have one that can go in the oven so that is what I used. Other than that, I didn't vary from the recipe at all.  I'd probably give them a 3 - they were ok, but I've liked others better.  Brandon gave them a 4
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8th inch thick (sliced these in my new bosch slicer, so nice)
  • 1/2 medium onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (I didn't have fresh - the one herb I'm missing in my garden so I used 1/2 teaspoon dried.)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
  • Salt and pepper
Procedure
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Heat a large iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter. When melted, add the onion. Cook for 4 minutes, or until soft.
2. Toss in the garlic and thyme, and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Dump in the potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Remove the cover, sprinkle the cheese on top, and place the iron skillet in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and slightly browned. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails