Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Simplifying and an announcement

I feel like I should be behind in my posting, (and I am a bit, but only by one post.)  I guess because it is summer and I'm a little lazy, or maybe because I'm actually using my blog the way I originally intended (looking for recipes our family has rated 5 stars) to plan my meals, but probably a combination of the both.  Sure has been nice not to post nearly as often.  (After finishing this post I have decided it comes down to simplifying - which I ended up using to title the post.)  Below are 2 of my favorite new ways to simplify.  I'm still trying new things all the time, but sticking with a simple base of something.

The first thing I have been truly enjoying -that I don't post always is the waffle/muffin mix.  I love that for breakfast.  I can make waffles, pancakes, or muffins of any flavor.  Most have been good.  (Although I tried some with lime yesterday that were too tangy for me.)  Anyway, I love that.  It has accomplished 2 of my latest food goals - eat more healthy, and simplify.

The second thing that I have really liked this week has been salad in a jar.  I made a super simple dinner last night of ham, salad and mashed potatoes.  Since there was nothing to do for the ham, I chopped various salad toppings to go on the lettuce that I had chopped and put in the jar.  I don't consider myself a real big salad person.  In fact they often don't seem to appeal to me (except at a restaurant. -could have something to do with the prep work involved.)  So last night I chopped sweet peppers, shredded carrots (3 jars worth - 2 for muffins, 1 for salads.)  Point being,  I had a great salad with lettuce, spinach, sweet pepper, sliced almonds, shredded carrot, and freeze dried strawberries.  I couldn't believe how yummy it was. The best thing about it - if I want to do it again, everything is already ready in the fridge.   Maybe one day if I get better at this salad business, I'll do a post of my favorite salad toppings, but for now, I'm very happy with that way to simplify.  My new goal for the week - use all of the salad I put in jars by replacing cooked veggie side dish with a fresh salad.  Baby steps for us at our house.  We may end up eating healthier yet.

ANNOUNCEMENT
I will actually be doing a give away on this blog either later this week or next week, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails