My other large change was that I thought this had WAY too many noodles for 1 meal. I doubled the meat and added beans and called it 2 meals. I put 1/2 in the freezer. I've done that a lot this past week. Ought to make for an easy week of cooking later on - maybe the first week back to school or something when life gets busy. :)
This meal could easily be made vegetarian by omitting the beef and adding another can of beans.
yield - at least 12 servings (I made it and froze the left overs - may have even been more than 1/2.)
- 1 package (16 oz) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I use pre-cooked)
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (I like the petite diced)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (I used more - sorry to say I don't know how much - probalby more like 2 -2.5 cups)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef in a skillet (if not using pre-cooked you may want to add some diced onion, salt and pepper) or toss pre-cooked in a skillet with garlic powder, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and milk. Stir in cayenne and cumin and simmer for aobut 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cheese to the beef mixture and stir to combine/melt the cheese.