Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cinnamon Chicken

Here is another recipe from $5 dinner mom.  I didn't do too bad at actually following this one - only very minor adaptations.  It turned out pretty good.  One of the kids said it had too many spices.  True there were quite the combination of flavors with Italian seasoning and cinnamon, but it was good for something different.  I also liked the pasta she served to the side - it was really just pasta with Parmesan, but I also added the stewed tomatoes from the chicken and chopped them up a bit.  It was tasty.
Possible changes for next time -The original recipe called for 1 cup of water in the bottom of the slow cooker.  I debated putting none, and probably should have.  As it was I doubled the recipe and only put maybe 1/3 cup, but I didn't drain my stewed tomatoes.  Next time I think I'd not add water and add either tomato sauce, or, swap out the stewed tomatoes with 1 can crushed tomatoes and 1 can diced - mixing the Italian seasoning into the tomato sauce before pouring over the chicken??)  Those are just my suggestions for myself.  I'd love to see the sauce be something thicker that could go with the noodles.  (Although I have to say the noodles were quite tasty with the Parmesan because it melted on there.  Yum!
Sorry about the picture today.  I had some much more appetizing servings, but of course I forgot to take a picture.  This was the only un-eaten plate.  The left overs were all falling off the bone.  (Not a bad thing flavor wise, but not pretty for a picture. :)

Here is how I made it this week.  It served our family of 6 with left overs.  Total servings 7-8.

Ingredients

  • 1 family size package chicken legs (3-4 lbs)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 whole garlic cloves
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cans (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
  • 2 Tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 package linguine pasta
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions
1.     Remove skin from chicken (I use my kitchen scissors.)  Place chicken in the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper.  Place the whole garlic clover, onion pieces, stewed tomatoes and Italian seasoning on and around the chicken.  
2.     Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
3.     Near the end of cooking time, cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.  Return to pot and stir in Parmesan cheese.  
4.     Serve.  (I served the chicken with the pasta to the side, and tomatoes and onions to the side of that to be eaten with the chicken or the noodles.  Personally I chopped up my tomatoes and stirred them into the pasta and really liked it that way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails