Monday, July 25, 2011

crescent rolls

This is the roll recipe I used to make the chicken squares the other day.  I actually didn't change anything from the original recipe over at Mel's kitchen Cafe.  (I can't say enough good things about her site.  I love it.)  I did only use a 1/2 batch for the chicken squared and used the other 1/2 batch to make crescents.  I just rolled out all of the dough and cut it into 12 triangles (as opposed to Mel's 3 batches with only 8 wedges each.)
Here is Mel's recipe + my commentary.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk
  • 2/3 cup yellow corn meal (I used ground popcorn with no problem)
  • 1 ½ tablespoons instant yeast
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter (I used a frozen stick from my freezer -helped cool my corn meal mix)
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 5 ½ – 6 cups flour (I used all 6 cups)

Directions
Heat the milk to just below a boil so bubbles are just appearing around the edges.  Add the cornmeal and cook and stir until thickened, lowering the temperature if needed so the mixture doesn’t boil (she has a lovely picture of the consistency here. Pour the cornmeal/milk mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl and let cool until lukewarm. (or be lazy like me and add frozen butter and let that melt in/cool your mix.)  Add the yeast, butter (If you weren't lazy) and sugar. Mix. Add the salt and eggs. Mix well. Add the flour gradually until a soft dough forms. Knead for 5-8 minutes.
Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl covered with lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
Divide the dough into three portions and roll each into about an 8-10 inch circle. Brush the top lightly with butter. Cut into 8 wedges and roll each wedge up starting from the wide end so it forms a crescent roll shape. Place each roll on a lightly greased or silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing about 1-2 inches apart to allow for rising. Cover lightly with greased plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise until doubled.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Brush with butter while still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails