Thursday, June 24, 2010

Salsa-cinnamon chicken with couscous, peas and corn

Gotta love Sandi Richard.  I checked out another one of her books this week since I like the one I own so much.  I wanted to see if this book offered enough new variety to be worth my buying.  So far I like it.  I'm trying to get it written down so I don't forget what I did to change it.  (It wasn't much, but I don't like regular couscous, so I changed it to pearl couscous, and did some other changing of the couscous.)  I thought it was really good.  I liked the cinnamon/cumin flavor.  I think the couscous would have been better with the tri-color pearl couscous rather than the wheat, so I'd probably try that next time.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1.5 lb. chicken thigh, boneless, skinless (I think it would have been equally good if not better with chicken breast, and I would probably do that next time.)
  • 1 Tablespoons fresh garlic
  • 1 3/4 cup chunky salsa
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup craisins
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 c pearl wheat couscous 
  • 2 Tablespoons onion flakes
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 2 cups frozen petite peas
  • 2 cups frozen corn
 Directions

  1.   Heat large non-stick frying pan over medium high hear.  Add pine nuts and toss until very light brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Add oil to pan.  Brown chicken in pan.  Add garlic. 
  2. While the chicken is cooking, combine salsa, 1/2 cup water, craisins, honey, cumin and cinnamon.  Pour over chicken.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Set timer to 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, add water to a medium sauce pan and bring to boil.  Add onion, bouillon, salt, parsley, butter, and couscous.  Boil for 8-10 minutes. ( I added 2 Tablespoons salsa at this point, but I don't think I'd do that in the future.  I ended up adding more of the sauce from the chicken to the couscous on my plate.  It was really good that way. ) 
  4. While the couscous is boiling, rinse peas and corn in a colander and place in a microwave safe dish.  Microwave for 3 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle pine nuts over chicken (I totally forgot to do this.  I will do that when I eat it for left overs because they were tasty.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails