Saturday, June 12, 2010

crepes with cherry filling

I made crepes yesterday because Tavio requested them for breakfast.  Of course, being me, I had to try a new recipe for them.  I wasn't overly impressed with the crepes recipe I think because of the cornmeal.  It settled to the bottom and then puddled in the middle on a few crepes.  I did like the addition of almond and vanilla extract. I thought they could have used some sweetness in the crepes when I tasted them plain to see how they were, but with the filling that I made, I loved them.  I made up the filling, and I loved it.  Super tasty, and healthy.  I would definitely make it again.  I'm guessing on the cherries and splenda.  I just put a good amount in a bowl.  My picture is not worth posting, but I'll post it small.  I had my camera switched to something strange and a few of my pictures turned out black.  I had thought that it was just that I had the preview pane off until I went to look back at some of my pictures and they were black.  With photo software, this was the best my simple self could do.  Not bad from completely black, but surely it could be better.

Ingredients
  • 1-2 teaspoons splenda
  • 1.5-2 cups cherries (I used frozen)
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese (room temperature)
  • 1 6 oz. container light cherry yogurt
Directions
  1. Place cherries in a bowl (mine were frozen, so I microwaved them for a minute.)  Chop up a bit.  Sprinkle with splenda.  Set aside.
  2. Combine milk, egg, egg whites, almond and vanilla extracts, flour and cornmeal in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Place in fridge while preparing the middle.  (original recipe said to refrigerate for 1 hour.  I didn't refrigerate that long, and I think that is where the corn meal settled, so I think I'd actually try them without the wait time next time.)
  3. Place the cream cheese in a bowl (I heated mine in the microwave because it was cold.  Stir until smooth.  Add the yogurt and combine.  (I'd really love to have done this with a blender, food processor, or mixer to get it smooth, but I was trying to hurry.)  Add the cherries and mix.
  4. Make the crepes by heating a crepe pan over medium heat  Pour about 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a plate; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, coating with additional cooking spray as needed.
  5. Serve each crepe by placing cherry filling inside the crepe and wrapping up. (I actually ran out of cherry filling added a second container of yogurt.  It was better with the additional cherries and cream cheese.)   Top with Rediwhip if desired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails